Thursday, December 8, 2011

On This Special Day

I love Christmas. I love reading books each night to Gracie and at Christmas time I bring out her favorite Christmas ones. I usually store them after Christmas so that they will be special through out the month of December.


On Pinterest, I found a really cool idea to do next year with her and her books. It's a countdown to Christmas. What you do is wrap 24 books (any topic you like) and each day your child gets to unwrap them and you read the book as a family. What kid doesn't like to unwrap things?!? Plus I thought it would be more fun to make our elf Buddy give the gift each day..

Pinned Image

Today, we went to the Library's Christmas party. Gracie had so much fun singing songs and making her marshmallow snowman (eating him was the BEST part). I picked 2 books that I thought she would love to read. Her favorite one- of course - was "On This Special Day"... It was so sweet because it talks about the birth of Christ and how even the smallest animal a mouse came to see the newborn king.



The pictures were beautiful and the story line was an easy listen too for Grace.


Image Detail

On a winter's night, Mother Cat and Little Kitten wonder at all the visitors–a donkey, a lamb, three mice, a calf–who stop by their barn to rest as they follow a bright star. Curious, the cats follow the animals to a stable, where they find a very special baby- Jesus. Although neither the holiday nor the baby is named, most children will recognize the context. There is nothing new or noteworthy in this simple Nativity story, but the glowing, soft-focus photo-realistic illustrations of adorable barnyard animals will appeal to young children.–Eva Mitnick

No comments:

Post a Comment